So it is official. I am finally home, and no longer hanging out in the lonely straights of Iraq. I am so glad to be home. My trip was quicker then I actually expected. Once the ball started moving it didn't stop until I was finally home in HAWAII!!!!! I was sad to fly out of Atlanta, and that was purely because I had to say goodbye to the people that I had spent the last 6 mopths to a year of my life with, however I was ready to get home to the family.
Flying from Atlanta to San Fransico was a bit overwhelming. First of all when I arrived to the Atlanta airport I checked in, dropped off my 54 lb duffel and had to run to my boarding gate, which also included a quick train ride to another terminal. Once I got on the plane I was tucked all the way in the back of the plane to my relief, because it was a really full flight. a little boy brought me to reality when he poked his dad when I walked by and said "look daddy!" and his dad looked up and said "yup a woman soldier!" I wasn't prepared to be dimed out by a 3 year old. The flight was a full one but the Delta staff really took care of me, I couldn't have asked for better service!
Once I got to San Francisico I finally got a chance to breath. During my lay over I called my daughter to wish her a happy birthday and let her know I was back in the states to her suprise! It was great to be able to sit and call people and actually be able to talk to them with the only worry and my cell may drop the call due to lack of signal!
Once I boarded my flight to Honolulu I had the great pleasure of realizing that I was getting a whole row to myself. There was hardly anyone on my flight. Once the GPS for the plane was fixed I stretched out for the best nap ever!
Stepping off the plane in Hawaii was the next best thing about returning from deployment. I stepped off and outside to walk to baggae claim, and I got the first smell of Hawaii....the plumerias! That was the best smell I could have encountered. No more dirt in the air, and the lack of the dust smell was the best! When I got to the stairs that lead to the baggae claim I had to hold my breath for a second. I was worried I was walking into an empty baggage claim. However as I walked down the stairs I saw Aaron and Zack waiting. As soon as I came through the door Aaron and Zack were on the run to meet me, both with roses in hand. I was wrapped up before I knew it with the awws of the crowd coming from around us. My hubby scooped me up with a hug and then the 1SG was there with a welcome back and some you need some time off papers. It was great. Of course Irma and her kids were there, and I got to go and have my first dinner home with everyone! It was the best homecoming ever!
11 years ago
Welcome back to Hawaii! Enjoy your much deserved time off with ya family! Thanks for all of your service!
ReplyDelete